Our Firm History

  • Home>
  • Our Firm>
  • History

We are proud of our tradition and value our strong culture

  • 1936
  • 1950
  • 1955
  • 1972
  • 1977
  • 2000
  • Today
  • Mr. Luis J. Creel Luján in his office at the 18th Floor of the Banco Internacional Building

    1936

    The foundations of Creel Abogados were laid by Mr. Luis J. Creel Luján, whom on July 22, 1936 obtained his law degree from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. Mr. Creel had his initial exposure to the practice of law at the prestigious law firm of Mr. Carlos Sánchez Mejorada Domínguez. Under the supervision and guidance of his mentor, Mr. Sánchez Mejorada, Mr. Creel centered his professional practice on the representation of English, Canadian and American companies that had a significant presence in the Mexican mining industry. During the following years, Mr. Creel moved to the city of Pachuca to serve, in coordination with the firm of Mr. Sánchez Mejorada, the legal matters of Real del Monte, one of the most relevant mining groups in the history of Mexico.

    Upon his return to Mexico City and during the 1940s, Mr. Creel continued the representation of foreign investors and actively participated in the Mexican Bar, presiding several of its committees, publishing a variety of articles on tax matters –his preferred field of analysis- and acting as Editor of its journal "El Foro".

     

  • 1950

    By the 1950s, Mr. Creel established his independent practice in a modest office located in Avenida Juárez, within the central quarter of Mexico City, focusing his services in the fields of mining, tax and foreign investment law.

    1950 Bellas artes 1950

    Avenida Juarez No. 14, facing the Palacio de Bellas Artes

  • 1955

    Mr. Creel maintained the original venue of his practice until 1955, when he moved to Paseo de la Reforma, from where he continued advising foreign companies in their Mexican ventures for more than a decade, with the unconditional support of his associate Mr. Alberto Hoyos T. In 1966, following an unfortunate fire incident in his offices which destroyed part of the premises, Mr. Creel again relocated his practice to the headquarters of Banco Internacional, in Paseo de la Reforma 156.

    paseo de la reforma paseo de la reforma

    Paseo de la Reforma No. 122, in front of the Mexican Senate

  • 1972

    Mr. Creel’s practice gained strength with the addition of his son, Luis J. Creel Carrera, with whom he founded Creel Abogados in 1972, establishing the Firm three years later at the Desc building, within the then modern environs of Bosques de las Lomas.

    Bellas-artes Bellas-artes

    Paseo de la Reforma No. 156, 18th Floor, the Banco Internacional Building

  • 1977

    Mr. Creel died in 1977 and his son Luis assumed the management of the family firm and commenced its institutionalization transforming it into a corporate law firm, and maintained the helm of the Firm until the end of the '90s.

    2015

    Bosque de Ciruelos No. 304, Floors 1, 2 and 8, the Desc Building

  • 2000

    During the following years, our Partners developed their professional practices in the Firm’s core areas: Corporate, Financial, Real Estate, Tax and Labor Law; consolidated their international network strategy by establishing close professional relationships with recognized law firms and advisors in the Americas and Europe; and formed a solid Team of lawyers that shared their values and vision, with whom they have created a leading business law firm in our country.

    2000

    Portrait of Mr. Luis J. Creel Luján presiding the Board Room of Creel Abogados

  • Today

    Today, established at the current venue of Creel Abogados, we continue providing corporate legal advice, with the quality that has characterized us throughout our history, sustained on the legacy of excellence and professionalism laid down by its original founders, and maintaining current the spirit and culture which for several decades have distinguished us in the Mexican legal market.

    2015

    Paseo de los Tamarindos No. 400 B, 29th Floor, the Arcos Building